These taste fahmazing!! Yes, fah…mazing!
I never really loved hotdogs growing up, but I did eat a lot of those processed ones that were chicken that my mom would make for me. I pretty much went rogue Vegan when I was in middle school. It was a choice and it was great with the support I had from my friends that were like minded. We all enjoyed eating various vegan products and sharing them with each other. Veggie hotdogs were one of them, but as an adult I kinda forgot about them. Mainly because I was always around people who consumed meat and I never really found the need to eat anything grilled because it was primarily foods I did not eat, nor want.
Then a few years ago, a very good friend of mine and former boss, re-introduced me to the wonderful vegan hotdogs! We were at a fancy South Beach pool party and she had just converted to Veganism and becoming a vegan chef. She had these hotdogs that were for people like us. It was able to stand up to the heat of the grill, the texture was smooth and delicious and the toppings were endless!
Today I bring to you my creation of the Veggie Hotdog!! I really hope you give it a chance, whether you enjoy or dislike hotdogs, this is a must!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Smart Dogs -veggie dogs
- Hot dog buns
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 2 slices cheese
- 1/2 Hass avocado
- olive oil cooking spray
- Turn your grill on to medium/high heat!
- Turn the stove on to medium heat.
- Dice the onions and slice the mushrooms.
- Let them sauté for 5 minutes.
- Get your hot dogs out and head to the grill! Make sure you oil them evenly.
- Add tot he grill and cook following the instructions. (make sure to rotate them).
- Take your buns and toast them on the grill.
- Cut, peel and dice your avocado.
- Now, the best part! ASSEMBLE the DOG!
- Toasted bun
- Hot dog
- Mushroom onion mixture.
Below are the picture of the yummylicious hot dogs!! Trust me you will LOVE them!! Let me know if you experimented with any other recipes!
Most of the time people think grilling is only for carnivores. Well, that is not true! Anything and everything can be grilled. I absolutely love grilling veggies. It equals zero fat. No oil, no butter (if you’re just vegetarian or trying something new). It is literally just the fire, some water in a spray or squeeze bottle.
I know I have not been on in a week and I apologize! My life kind of took over and I needed to focus on some outside matters. Trying to get my posts where there recurring frequently on their own! Woot woot, trying to be tech savvy.
Today’s menu: Grilled veggie skewers, grilled corn, smashed potatoes and a grilled veggie burger! Yum-a-licious and protein packed.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup of Broccoli and Cauliflower cut in big chunks
- 2 ears of corn (or more if you’re doing a larger group)
- 1/2 pound of petite creamer potatoes
- 1 Boca Burger Veggie Burger
- handful of small baby bella mushrooms
- 4 wood skewers for shikabobs (Soaked in cold water- the longer the better!)
- Dill weed (dry seasoning)
- salt and pepper
- Turn your grill on to medium/hight heat!
- Turn the stove on and fill a large pot with water and bring to roaring boil.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water.
- Meanwhile, take the ears of corns and peel the harder husk away, leaving a thin layer.
- You always want to put the corn first on the grill because it takes a longer time to cook.
- *cooking tip: If you are pressed for time, boiling corn is the fastest way to cook them!
- *cooking tip: If you don’t have a grill, but still want to infuse flavor. Peel the corn entirely and coat with olive oil and some seasonings then wrap in foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes!
- Now, grab your skewers that have been soaking in cold water.
- *why!? to prevent the skewers from burning! Typically you want over 2 hours of soaking, but a good 15 minutes soak works as well.
- Take your rinsed, clean veggies and stack them up on the skewer.
- Now, put them on the grill, near your corn that is still cooking.
- By now, you may be freaking out because the husk has caught on fire. That is OKAY! Just grab your spray or squeeze bottle of water and saturate it. This will also help with the steam effect to help cook the corn.
- Also, great time to add your Boca Burger to the grill (spray lightly with cooking spray so it does not stick or fall apart when you flip. Make sure you use a spatula and not tongs-I learned the hard crumbly way lol!)
- Don’t forget your potatoes that are boiling! (Isn’t cooking fun!)
- Stab them with a fork to see if they are tender, if so, strain them in the sink! (Good way to get some anger out!)
- Throw the potatoes back in the pan and get potato masher and just do a quick hard smash. Here, I added the dill weed with a little salt and black pepper. (you can add butter here if you want or some olive oil).
- Cardio time! Run back out to the grill. Your corn, skewers, and Boca Burger should be done!
- Best part…ASSEMBLE and Eat!!
I hope you find my recipe fun and entertaining. Yes, I do speak the way I type with excitement. It truly is my personality! Let me know how you like this simple, grilling creation.
Check out the pics belowwww!!
Soak the skewers in COLD water!
Husk away, but leave a little behind and pull the tops off.
Get your water roaring and add the small potatoes
Throw those bad boys on the grill.
I love me some color on the grill!
Rinse your veggies, ALWAYS! (Do not want those pesticides on your food or in your body)
How to clean mushrooms! They are naturally porous and absorb liquid.
Just gently wipe them down with a wet napkin or towel.
Then detach the stem by twisting it off. (Yes, you can eat the stems, but your do not have to).
Skewer up those babies!
Yea, look at all that yummy flavor!
Drain those potatoes! Then put them back in the pot and smash them!
Peel the corn, de-skewer the veggies, plate the smashed potatoes, and your veggie burger! Protein packed, healthy and good for your meal!
What is it like being around people that eat meat?! Well, I think it is more difficult for them than it is for me. Lol. I am perfectly with not eating any meat. I can pretty much form a great meal out of anything!
Today, had family come over. My significant other is a meat eater and so is his family. They try really hard to work with the way I eat, and I greatly appreciate that! It was a grill day for them with burgers, but I didn’t have any veggie burgers. That is okay, I had some yummy Morning Star Buffalo Chik Patties in the freezer. I was able to pull together a quick meatless dinner.
We were supposed to see the SpaceX launch today in Florida, but it was canceled last minute, which is why we were having a family gathering on a Monday lol. The weather was perfect for it too, but they have not released any information as to why it was not launched. (Yes, launching “things” is space is an environmental hazard. I will be posting about the effects it has on the environment in a later post. Is it still cool to see, most definitely, do I agree with it…not sure…still have a lot of research ahead of me!)
Back to the food!
Time: 20 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
- 1 Morning Star Chik Patty (Or any other brand of veggie patty, Gardein, Beyond Meat, Boca and more!)
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- 1/2 tomato
- 1 slice of your favorite cheese (regular or vegan- this is meatless Monday, not vegan Monday; everyone can do this!)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Season Salt
- 1-8 ears of corn (Depends how many people are eating)
- 1 package of buns for burgers (we had pretzel buns)
- Get the water boiling for the corn.
- Turn the oven on to 375 degrees to cook the Chik Patty (follow package).
- Turn a medium skillet with the olive oil and sauté the onion with the season salt.
- Cook the corn for minimum of 10 minutes.
- I like my buns toasted, so throw on the grill or put in the oven.
- Everything should be done at the same time!!
Below are some pictures, not as clean cut as I would like, but hey, not bad for a fast meal because we thought we were about to run out! Literally, just grabbed some ingredients in the house and put it together! Yummmm and super filling! Let me know what you think!
Boil the corn.
Saute the onions!!
Bake the Chik Patty.
Stack the corn and hope they do not roll all over the place.
Ta-da! Quick meal. I put my onions on the bottom, then tomato, cheese on the other side and my chik patty. One ear of corn and some fresh peeled raw carrots to make a full meal!!